Sunday, June 21, 2009

Aussie dictionary

Before we moved here, we read a couple of books on Australian culture and they both included sections on unique Aussie phrases and slang. Most of them were pretty well-known, including “mate”, “no worries”, “fair dinkum”, etc.

However, now that we have lived here a year, we can say that there are many more unique Australian sayings that we were never warned about in books. And they are confusing. See a short list of examples below.

“Stuffed” = Very tired

I’m stuffed. I can’t wait to crawl in bed.

“Average” = Bad

How did you like the food there? 
I actually thought it was average.
Oh, that’s too bad!

“Shocking” = Very bad

What did you think of that book?
I thought it was shocking!
Really? I’ll definitely cross it off my list then.

Heaps” = Very

That movie was heaps funny.

“Massive” = Exciting/Good time

How was the concert last night?
It was massive.
That’s cool!

Prank” = Text message

Just prank me when you get here and I will come outside.

Kit” = Outfit/Clothes

I was so stuffed last night, I just crawled in bed with my kit on.

“Beautiful” = Delicious

This chicken is beautiful!
Thanks! It’s a family recipe.

Sweet as” = Very good

Your new car is sweet as.
Yeah, and it’s fast as too. I’ll take you for a spin some time.
That would be massive!

“Bench” = Kitchen counter

I left my lunch at home on the bench this morning.
Hopefully nobody sits on it! Ha!
Why would somebody sit on the bench?
Never mind.

“Crack it” = Get really mad

When Rob sees this he’s going to crack it.

“Cracker” = Something/someone funny

Ha! He is such a cracker!

“Icy pole” = Popsicle

It is heaps hot right now. I wish I had an icy pole.
(Me laughing hysterically)
Mate, what’s so funny?

2 comments:

Jeff and Kim said...

That post was heaps funny! I'm laughing out loud over here! :)

The Irish like to use gorgeous instead of beautiful. I thought it was weird the first time I heard someone say "This bread is only gorgeous!!"

Ronda said...

What a "cracker" post! So interesting...I'll have to remember some of those terms! :)
Hope that you are having a GrEaT summer~~there in Aussie land! We are having a busy, but fun summer here in good ole Indiana! Love ya!