Saturday, July 26, 2008

First Experience Driving (on the Left)

I (Anthony) have now driven in Australia several times, but I thought I would write about my first experience on the left side of the road. My first time driving occurred during rush-hour traffic, which made me quite nervous.

I rented a small car from Budget to get to a client who was located in an outer suburb. The Budget staff pulled around the car for me. As I got into the driver’s seat, I accidently stepped on the gas-pedal, revving the engine to red-line and scaring a couple of people standing around. I guess I didn’t know where to expect the pedals on the right side of the car – something you don’t really think about.

I drove the car through the parking lot and thought it didn’t seem too bad. I thought perhaps the key was just confidence. So, I confidently pulled out of the parking lot and into oncoming traffic! I then decided that the key was not confidence, but carefully considering each and every turn.
My next trouble arrived when I wanted to use my turn-signal and instead turned on my windshield wipers. It made me laugh, but it became less funny when I made the same mistake EVERY TIME I wanted to use my turn signal. Seriously - every time. We’re talking a dozen times or more. Changing lanes on the busy freeway was hard enough – then when I found an opportunity I would turn on my windshield wipers (on a dry windshield) and startle myself so bad I would have to abort the turn and regain my composure. I think everyone else on the road thought I was crazy.

On a side-note, I have now driven several times and was proud of myself on a recent trip when I got almost all the way home without ever accidently engaging my wipers. I thought I finally got the hang of it. Then it started raining. Yes – I reached for my wipers and turned on my turn-signal!

The last problem I had with my first experience occurred when I parked and I could not get my key out of the ignition. I had forgotten to put the car in park. It seems simple, but with the shift-lever at the wrong hand, I have made this same mistake during just about every trip I have taken. Weird, huh?

Lastly, I will comment on Aussie speed limits. On the main freeway I use, the speed limit is only 80 kph, which translates to only 48 miles per hour. And… unlike in the States, you are not allowed to go over the limit. There is no grace period – they use speed cameras and if you go over 80 kph you get a ticket. So, people really go 75 (46 mph). Then, when they do any kind of roadwork (even when there are no workers around or when the work does not appear to directly impact the road or flow of traffic) the speed limit is reduced to 60 kph. That is only 36 miles per hour on the freeway! Mind you, I am used to the California driving style in Sacramento where driving up to 80 mph on the freeway was the norm. Needless to say, I find Aussie freeways exasperating. Maybe this will help me learn patience?

3 comments:

Jeff and Jocelyn said...

Anthony its true the US needs to hurry up and get with the times and convert to the metric system.
We found your driving story VERY entertaining and developed some great pictures in our minds!
Jeff

Jeff and Jocelyn said...

Now its my turn, thanks so much for calling Kris that really made my day. I had a pretty good day, Jeff thought it would be fine to do all the birthday stuff on Friday so I had a little hormonal outburst about that and we ended up just doing appetizers at Moxies and then purusing this cool bookstore we have for New York books.
Then yesterday we went to this cool restauraunt on the river, unfortunately we were a little disappointed with our food. But we made up for it by doing some shopping, I got some really cute maternity capris and some good startbucks coffee.
As a present I got some Lululemon capris, which is this very trendy and expensive store here, with the comfiest pants. So thrilled!!! and 2 seasons of Friends, also YEAH!
Anyway it was super fun,
miss you girl wish we could have lunch!

Ronda said...

Wow...I am nervous just HEARING about the driving experiences...I am sure that would be so difficult to get used to! Be CAREFUL and keep having fun! Love ya! Ronda